My parents Always made Christmas a special time and my mom especially, made this holiday mandatory for all of us to be there as a family. I'm the last of 6 kids; three boys and three girls. The unique thing about my family is this: Even though Christmas was mandatory to be home for the holidays, at no point were we ever in the same house together totally Six Together. Most of us would be there together, 5 minus 1, 4 minus 2 and then one or two would leave and the last one(s) showed up within minutes of the other one leaving. Talk about scheduling. It wasn't intentional, it was just poor timing, My mom never saw her adult kids in the same place together. Strange thing!
The tree was always decorated with Christmas Ornaments handed down from one generation to another. We probably had Christmas Ornaments dating back hundreds of years that were brought with the past generations to America. My moms family originated in England and my dads family originated in Germany.

I remember one strange piece that always hung at the top of the tree. Back in the 40's, (I think), Planters Peanuts for a promotion put small Planters Peanut men in the cans of Peanuts. (the peanut man being one with the top hat and crossed leg standing leaning on a cane) Well, this peanut man was Always the last piece to be put on the tree and always made the tree complete due to tradition. The little peanut man found its place years before because my dad opened a can of peanuts, found the little peanut man inside and didn't want to lose it, so he hung it on the tree and it always found its way to the treee for all of the years that followed.
The house was Always decorated inside and out with garland and lights. At that time people stayed in touch by mailing Christmas Cards through the mail and not the computer. My mom would hang the cards on one wall of the living room by stringing rows of garland the enitre wall height and lay the Christmas cards over the garland for all to see. I remember hundreds of them.
Dinners were celebrated on Christmas Day as well as Christmas Eve. My parents had an open door policy for the holidays for friends and family and the house was always alive. Instead of bringing gifts, friends would bring bottles of alcohol or dishes of food or desserts. Not gifts that costs moneys or has a "price" that represents, "look at my gift, it's worth more than theres!"
Talk about Value and Learning Experience for a child growing up in a wonderful environment such as this! I wonder whatever happened to that little peanut man?
I will always remember the good times and the times that I tested my parents parenting skills and sent them over the edge more than I should have. I cherished both of my parents, but, my mom was my protector even into adulthood. After all, I was the "baby", her baby. My dad was all military and strict as all could be. Small little German, but tough as hell.
My mom died when I was just 24 in 1985. She's been gone 23 years and my dad died a few years ago without the family even knowing that he had died until almost 2 years afterwards because his wife didn't get along with his kids and chose not to inform us when he fell ill. But, this is another story.
Somewhere I feel cheated that I only knew my mom for 24 years, while my brothers and sisters new her for more years. But, through all of this, I became stronger. I don't forget her at all. Her face is imbedded in my mind, her voice is now fading from my memory, the laughter that filled the house while growing up, but, I live with ALL or "most of what I can recall" my memories of my childhood and my years of adulthood while she was here.
If we keep the memories strong, the people we love that are no longer here, stays with us forever.
I'm not a religious person because I am not perfect and I'd be sinning daily and I don't have time to go to confession because it would take too much of the priests time. lol But, I am a Spirtual Person and I honestly care about peoples well being and happiness. I live my life each day to be better than the day before and keep a low profile in life.
This Christmas was spent with Phil's family; lots of champagne, wine, good French food and wonderful French Pastries for dessert. And his sister finally found the words to explain me to people during an introduction, I'm now her Beau Frere, which means brother in law. It took her more than 10 years. But, it's better than a Belle Souer, which would be her sister in law.....lol Happy Holidays to Everyone!

1 comment:
Awesome! Hope you have the best 2008.
love,
Deb and Dave
Post a Comment