Friday, December 5, 2008

Here's a piece of my Daily Paradise...

I just wanted to share a piece of my Daily Paradise with those of you who think that Island Life is "just peachy". Believe it or not, I wouldn't change my life right now for anything. Yesterday, we decided it was time to see what the students carried on them to school. So, the Police were invited in to conduct a search on both boys & girls because most people "assume" that only "the boys" are the problems. Below you will be able to read about what was found & what was taken by the Police to get the things out of the hands of these kids.
Remember, I'm dealing with 14-21 year old students each day and there are 220 students enrolled at my school. The students were not informed that the Police were going to arrive, enter every classroom and search bodies as well as back packs that the kids use to carry their ummmm, books! Weapons were found, (no guns) mostly knives, machetes, double edge knives used for "slicing" in both directions-left & right on the swing up and then down.
Why would the kids carry these weapons you might be asking yourself? Alot of these kids have Societal Pressures that if they aren't fighters, then they become the Victims of the Stronger Ones. We do have gangs on the island and I know that I have Gang Members in class. I've been confronted a few times, challenged, had a student put his chest up to mine and was looking for a reaction. He was suprised to see that I actually put more pressure on his chest with mine and advanced towards him rather than him advance on me. We stared each other in the eyes for about 1 minute, (it felt like and hour & felt it wouldn't end positively) still maintaining the pressure on each other's chest. Eventually, through (I think) Respect that the other one wasn't going to back down, he sat down and kept his respect as I did mine. Had I backed down, eventually I would have had to deal with the other 12 boys in that class at some point in the future. The last thing I could do was to not back back down and lose all of their respect. On the way out, he shook my hand and patted me on the shoulder. Since then, no probem and he started to work on the assignments.
I can honestly say that I have "almost" ALL of those kids Respect in the entire school. There are a few who still want to challenge, but, most of the kids warn the individual that I won't back down from them if they start something.
I am not a bulley by any means and I am certainly not stupid. But, I do know that these kids need somebody to watch out for them, show them that I care by a pat on the back and a Good Morning at the gate and entrance Everyday! These kids now shake my hand, give me a Boop, (which is where the kids touch knuckles to your hand in a closed fist). Some kids will even give me a hug around the shoulders and ask me if I'm doing okay?
I honestly care about these kids and I think, (I hope) they know it through my actions. They know that my door is Always Open for them, to come in and speak to me if they have something to talk about because most of the time, nobody listens at home. They know what is said, stays with me unless it involves something where they could get hurt or somebody else. I've even had kids that I know are in gangs, come in and cried like a baby because someboy at home told him outright that he was "worth nothing in life" the night before.
I Love these kids believe it or not. I'm learning about what these kids have to deal with in their private lives at home and what they have to deal with each day.
Weapons is NOT the answer. We've had discussions about the weapons in school and hopefully they will choose another path, rather than a path of aggression and crime. I can only try my best to let them know they have "other options" in Life!


4 comments:

barcann said...

chest to chest, eh?
Oh, how I would have loved to see that.
You were right of course not to back down.
These kids have to know you are in charge. They also have to know you care, which you show them every day.
They are lucky to have you in their lives.

Man, the thought of gangs in SXM just blows me away.
It's so sad.
Barbara

William said...

Hi Barbs, Who would have ever thought that gangs would be here in our little paradise. It is so sad. Ten years ago, the word "gangs" wasn't even in the kids vocabulary. Thanks to their role models of the Rap Singers singing about gangs, violence and street noncense. It saddens me that these kids take that route sometimes.
Hugs to you both, Bill

Deb said...

Hi Bill,
Thanks for being such a caring person and giving the youth of today what they need........we know exactly what you're going through!!!!! We're definitely smaller scale than you but still have the drugs and "grunges" vs. "preps." It's always a challenge to try to get them to understand everyone is different and to accept people for what they are and just leave them alone and not try to fight if they disagree. It seems to trickle down to the younger kids earlier and earlier! glad to see you're happy with what you're doing. Keep up the good work. It sounds like you're needed.

William said...

Hi D & D, I had a conversation with my boss a few days ago & he told me that to work at this particular school, "You need to have big shoulders". He was talking about the kids as well as for "some" of the teachers because a few of them are into the "street thing" themselves. So much for the positive role models. When you have a teacher pulling up to the gate playing "Gangster Rap", of course the kids are going to follow suit. Is that sad or what?
Hugs to you both, Bill