Well, as days pass working with the kids, I realize the need for a Big Brother Big Sister Program on this island. I'm learning that most kids have few positive role models in their lives to do things with outside of the school environment.
With the growing crime, violence towards residents and tourists, robberies and total disregard and respect for people, I've decided that "something" has to be done to intervene and save future generations from this negative way of life.
I have been in touch with Big Brothers Big Sisters in Philadelphia, USA and they've referred me to BBBS of Rotterdam, who handles all overseas programs. I've asked and inquired as to "how to start a BBBS Program" here on the island.
I am waiting for their response. I'll keep you informed.
Let's keep our figures crossed for a positive outcome!
Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
William, What a positive influence you are bringing to the school system and the Island as a whole, if the children have something positive to do rather than hanging around, it could make all the difference in the world... GOOD for you for thinking fo such an awesome organization as BBBS. I hope that all goes well with your plans...Maureen
Hi Maureen,
Each day is another "eye opener" when dealing with the kids at this school. Not all are problem makers; as always the few who are, those are the ones who disrupt the peace of the day. I'm hoping that through the BBBS Program, if I am successful in getting the program started, that change can start happening for the better and future of St. Maarten's once peaceful and tranquil island as we all once knew it to be. In the process, I am also hoping that "politics" and "more popular" and "connected" people don't get involved to prevent this program from being a success...? Here on the island, people do things to get the credit, and in the end, they are not consistent and things fall apart before they get going. For me, I do this for 2 reason's. First, for the kids who need positive adult conections and identity, and second, for the future of this wonderful island. For the residents as well as the tourists.
I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your support and encouragement.
Bill
William
What a great idea. That would be a fantastic program for here.
Barbara
Thank you for making a difference in children's lives. I've been teaching for 39 years in Connecticut and each day I'm reminded what an important job this is.
I've been a guest at your island for over 25 years and sadly I have seen a difference in the youth of St. Maarten/St Martin. The innocence and search for knowledge is gone for so many- perhaps the difference between the haves and the have nots has been the reason. You are making a positive step in making change. Keep up the good work- I hope you can convince some postive role models to become mentors for these kids.
Post a Comment