Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Absentee Ballot

Well, for those of you who have never seen an Absentee Ballot, here's mine. I sent a fax last week to the Board of Elections Supervisor of Lee County, Florida; requesting my Absentee Ballot, being that that is the location of our home now. I received it yesterday and brought it to school with me today to show my students what an American Absentee Ballot looks like.
Here's the best part of the experience for the students, but, Very Special for me.
Each student looked at it closely, located Barack Obama's name, touched it and ran their fingures over the name of Barack Obama; as though his name allowed them to touch Him personally. I didn't say anything at the time, I just observed each of their reactions when they read his name and touched it softly, through GREAT RESPECT & ADMIRATION for the man who "might be the next President of the Unitied States of America."
I told them that each of their touches on the ballot, "would allow each of them, a part-through my ballot, to have a part in the election process through my ballot." (symbolically of course)
The students, as "street wise" as some of them are, are knowledgeable and excited by the American Election and have been following it closely.
They were amazed of the process that is involved when filling out, placing it in an envelope or should I say envelope (s). Here's how it works.
First, you bubble in the candidate of your choice, Second, you place the ballot in an envelope marked SECRECY ENVELOPE, Third, you place the Secrecy Envelope containing your ballot in yet another envelope that will be mailed to The Supervisor of Elections; in my case it will be sent to Fort Myers, Florida. Forth, on the back of this envelope is a place where (after being sealed) you have to sign your name across the sealed flap and date it as well as Print your name on the top line. The next time it will be opened will be on Election Day and the vote recorded. I Hope! Remember, it's going to Florida and we know what happens in Florida Elections.......ugh!
The ballot & envelopes are here for you to see.
My students were excited by the fact that they could see and touch an Absentee Ballot first hand. I am also glad & proud that I allowed them to be somewhat "symbolically involved in an Historical Moment", that they were able to touch an Absentee Ballot that will be counted towards an Election; that will go down in American History for the First African American to become PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.


The students shared with other teachers today that, "Mr. R-------, had a "Real Absentee Ballot" and they were able to touch it and see that Barack Obama's name; an AFRICAN AMERICAN, is REALLY on the Ballot." Before I knew it, I had teachers knocking on the door asking if they could see it and touch it also. Well, I guess every person today that asked to see, touch and read his name, all feel a part of American History today. I didn't realize the sensitivity, the respect, as well as the reality of Barack Obama's name would have on students & teachers alike when they saw his name on the ballot. I didn't realize the Impact it would have on them.
At first, it started out as a classroom lesson. It was for the students to see the Absentee Ballot that I would use to cast my vote for the next President of the United States.
I learned alot today from my Students as well as my Collegues and Administrators. They saw "How far we've come from the Civil Rights Movement." The importance of the hard work, the hardships, the prejudices that existed, the hurdles the African Americans had to pass over & through to get to this point in history.
In reality for me, Prejudice will always exist for some people. Ignorance will continue to exist as well. People are FINALLY ACCEPTING to see people as people and observe their accomplishments and capabilities.
I'm not one to mix business with pleasure nor did I ever talk politics and religion openly until now.
I am an American; an American Indian and proud of it.
I live outside of my country BECAUSE of Politics of NOT ALLOWING ME TO CHOOSE MY LIFE PARTNER, WHO IS NOT AN AMERICAN, TO LIVE IN MY OWN COUNTRY AND BE HAPPY.

Just a Note: FOR ALL OF YOU CONSERVATIVES/REPUBLICANS, YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM AS TO WHY PHIL & I CAN'T LIVE IN THE USA......THANK YOU "OPEN-MINDED AMERICANS."

I will be forever greatful that I have had such a wonderful experience to live on the island of St. Maarten/St. Martin, I will be forever greatful and thankful that I had this WONDERFUL OPPORTUNITY to teach these kids, who have taught me so much about their life as well.
I will cast my vote with the "symbolic touch" of my students and collegues for an African American named Barack Obama on the 4th day of November 2008.
I can only hope that the American People can see past their noses, look to the future of America, and do the same. VOTE FOR OBAMA and LET THE WORLD RESPECT US ONCE MORE......










3 comments:

Philippe said...

Beautifull !... Me too I felt necessary to touch it, and to see the name on it was very very special! It's history, no matter what, and I hope from the deepest of my heart it will be REAL history! I wish that my Mom would be here to see that, she always wanted to see it happen but never thought it would be possible in a life time future... and now, it's only few day away that America can really impress the world, and proved to the planet that America is opening a new era in its history, an era which willchange the country for the best and for ever! maybe one day, who kows, couple like us will be able to live free in your country, no matter which nationality the partner is, and maybe Obama will be the one who will make it possible to happen!
His victory would be a GREAT success for the USA. I am so nervous and affraid that people of America choose once again "middle age" versus "21st century" !

William said...

Philippe, American Conservatives-Republicans need to take their heads out of their asses and realize that THEY are the ones who have RUINED AMERICA. The Middle Aged Mentality and the REFUSAL to allow ALL PEOPLE TO LIVE FREELY has gone BEYOND IGNORANCE!
If McCain-McNasty & Pitbull Bitch Palin-ANIMAL KILLER wins, then let it go down in American History that American's are far more STUPID than even I could imagine!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

AS AN AMERICAN, I AM TRULY DISSAPPOINTED AND DISGUSTED WITH THE AMERICAN PEOPLE...... and I'm an American and embarrassed as well.