Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Today, I Wait with Anticipation...

Today, I think most people with any intelligence & a functioning brain, sits, paces nervously, glued to the TV sets, listening to the radios or conversing with friends & collegues anticipating our next President of the United States.
I would also like to include the next "First Family" of America. When I see photos of this True American Family, I can only feel Strength & Comfort knowing that this family will make us proud that they are representing millions of Americans, giving us hope for a brighter & better tomorrow & future.
For me, they represent all of us in their determination, confidence and dreams that: "We can seek the Impossible"; take a stand in what WE believe to be our own successes; no matter how large or small. For me, they represent that "keeping life simple", and not living beyond our means, allows us to keep the dreams real & within reach. For me, they represent that through personal experiences allows us
or (should show us) to NOT forget where they/we came from and where they/we want to go in life. For ALL of us, they proved that "Anything is Possible" as long as we don't give up on ourselves.
For me, they represent that: We have to take a stand in what we believe to be of value, importance and what is cherished most in our lives. We have to learn from our mistakes & not repeat them. We need to look forward & not back if we are to have productive & healthy lives. We need to advance by thinking of others & not ourselves. We need to reach out, help & say hello as often as possible; even to people we don't know. In the end, those people will feel important & will hopefully pass on the hello or lend a helping hand to others as well.
Since teaching & dealing with the people of St. Maarten more on a daily basis, (professionally & personally), I find myself reaching out more to people & I especially reach out to my students & their family members. I try to understand their daily lives, struggles & hardships and what they do each day to survive. Through their struggles, they still laugh & enjoy life. They make the best of what they have & proud of what they accomplish. When a mom or dad sees me in public or even at the school, they are not shy to give me a hug. I even had one dad last week give me a hug & a kiss on the cheek because I prevented his son from being kicked out of school after an incident that could have been prevented, had a teacher been present & doing his job.
(remember the teacher who was spying on the computer to see what I was doing?)
I find myself enjoying life more now, then I did prior to teaching. I feel productive & giving back to St. Maarten & contributing to the future of these kids & the island. I'm even more sensitive now and find it easier to overlook things that were once or could have been a crisis.
Through Obama & his family, I have hope & feel positive for a brighter tomorrow for the people of America, the people of the world and the future of good things to come under his Presidency.
Again I will say, "I have found a New Role Model in My Life!" His Inspiration moves me to being a better person each day!

2 comments:

barcann said...

beautiful!
very moving!
very special!
I say Amen and break open the champagne!
love you guys!
You are both moving me to tears tonight!
b&d

William said...

Good Morning Barbra,
How PROUD I am of America for opening their eyes and seeing the person FINALLY & not the color of his skin. I'm confident that he will change America for the better. We can ALL be proud of what we've done in this election.
Hugs to you both, Bill